Tuesday, September 4, 2007

YOU know you're FILIPINO If... Part I

I was inside a cab driving around San Francisco, California with three Spanish men. One is Miguel and the two other were his friends from Spain, visiting. In a group consist of two or more nationalities conversations about your own counties are inevitable. So there I was prepared for the question “What can you tell me about the Philippines?”

Let’s rewind two years back, it was my first time here in America. I came here with my best friend, Patti, to take an international program at University of California, Berkeley, Extension. I have classmates from different parts of the world, but America. Yes! It’s quite ironic, but our teachers are Americans. Anyways, in a diverse environment like this I was force to have brief history refresher about my own country and be able to tell people of the real identity of Filipinos.

Growing up I read books in English, watch movies in English, listen to English songs, read direction and instruction in English, listen to my teachers lecture in English, English is our -second language and it is widely spoken in the Philippines. I grew up admiring anything that is American. Everybody in our class were surprised to hear us (Patti and I) speak fluent English (at least better accent as compared with our classmates). But what is a real Filipino like?

Let me quote an author, Neni Sta. Romana-Cruz, who wrote a book entitled: You know you’re Filipino If…

Survivors of a medley of colonial influences, many Filipinos were uncertain of
who and what we were. We confused ourselves and others. It seemed futile to even talk about nationhood or nationalism when we had been so hopelessly
“Coca-Colanized.”
Perhaps this would be the best explanation I can think of when someone asks why we, Filipinos, are the way we are, everything in English and always copying something from other countries.

Now, back to my first story, so I told the Spanish guy that in terms of economy I can say as many bad things as I can about the Philippines, such as a poverty and corruption. But I’m proud to be a Filipino. We don’t have spectacular ancient monuments such in Rome or the rest of Europe, but as Filipinos we are known as cheerful, resilient, warm and hospitable people. We have the best beaches in the world and of course being a third-world country everything is cheap.

Then another line from the book has struck me, saying:

“Perhaps it is in the company of non-Filipinos where Filipinos truly stand out.
The last few decades have witnessed a great migration of Filipinos in search of
a better life. Even in strange lands and far from home, the indefatigable Pinoy
spirit often prevails, thanks in the great part to an optimistic outlook that is
deeply ingrained in our culture.”
Guess you will never know what a real Filipino is until you’ve lived with them.

No comments: